Our farm name is Conser Run Farm named after the stream that runs through the middle of the farm. We currently raise grass fed Angus cross beef and pasture raised pork for direct sale to the end user. We are always looking for more customers and new friends. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to ask! Either leave a comment or email us through our social network account.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

A stroll in the pasture!

Went for a walk out to pasture to see the pigs and cows.  Haven't had the time to go out during the daylight lately but got home before dark yesterday so I went out to see what everyone was doing and see how everyone was.

This is Sally, the Shorthorn mother, and her calf Frosty on the right.  While I was walking down to see what was up they were checking out the baby pigs.  Pig Pig came running to me to get a snack and left the little ones with the calves.  Everyone was intrigued!!
 This is Daisy and one of the piglets sneaking up on Pistol.  He didn't even get up.  He must have decided it wasn't worth it!
 Picture this, I am walking along the stream.  I am followed by Pig Pig and behind her is the little ones.  Behind her was these two still being curious. Then daisy in the back just checking everyone out.
 Well, this was supposed to be at the end but I guess I'll address it here.  This is a small end table we made for the project I am currently working on at work  it is a 3" think cherry slab 30" long by 24"-27" wide.  Very nice.  We made two of these, one will have a projector sitting on it for the outdoor movie theater and the other will be for use as an end table on the patio.  I previously posted the benches.  They are all from different parts of the same tree.  I can't wait to make more.  I have six table slabs and 4 bench slabs still in the barn.
 This was a quick pic of Stormy.  He is Jane's son.  He is 1/4 red Holstein, 1/4 Hereford, 1/2 Black Angus.  He is growing very fast.  He was born July 25th and is already pushing 350lbs.  I am thinking about keeping him for a cleanup bull. 
A cleanup bull is used after doing artificial insemination (AI) to breed any cattle that didn't settle.  AI is expensive but is a great way to quickly get good genetics into your herd.  It also allows you to have multiple breeds and crosses without having to have a bunch of different bulls.  I try to settle everyone with AI twice, after that I run a bull in the pasture to take care of business. 
At my annual herd check I will see who is bred and how far along they are in their pregnancy.  This will tell me whether they were bred by AI or the Bull.  Anyone who is not bred is subject to being sold.

 Kenny

No comments: