Our farm name is Conser Run Farm named after the stream that runs through the middle of the farm. We currently raise grass fed Angus cross beef and pasture raised pork for direct sale to the end user. We are always looking for more customers and new friends. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to ask! Either leave a comment or email us through our social network account.

Friday, November 26, 2010

Got a plan for keeping Pig Pig healthy

I tried feeding the alfalfa hay to Pig Pig.  She did not like it as it was too course and stemmy.  So we decided to take the feed back over to mixer/grinder and grind the alfalfa bales with the grinder and mix it with her supplements.  This way she gets her supplements while getting some quality alfalfa hay that she can enjoy eating!

 I went out to check the piggies last night and Pig Pig was still out and about but the little ones were taking a nap.  Just like our kids they are just spread all over laying this way and that.  They didn't even move when I got in the pen to check them and add some hay for them to nest in.  They are getting close to 15-18 lbs already, amazing!
 Took a tractor ride to check fence and creek.  We got around 4.5"-5" of rain from Wednesday night till this morning.  This pic was yesterday morning.  This is the highest I have seen the water since mid may.  This is just slightly higher than normal.  The day my wife and I got married it rained about 12"-13" in a two hour span.  When the sun came up and we were getting ready to leave for the church the entire bottom was covered in 6'-8' of water.  If you look behind the wood pallets in pic below it went from the fence post behind pallets to other side of pasture!  That was a once in 100 years rainfall!
 Some fire wood I split up to sell.  This is cherry and came from the large cherry tree I removed from the lawn.  I have 9 more pallets sitting nearby that are two years seasoned.  Three pallets equals a cord.  Most of the firewood I have comes from cleaning up fence rows and the edges of fields.  I have an awesome splitter that hooks to the 3-point hitch on the tractor and plugs into the hydraulics of the tractor.  I can lay a piece of hickory sideways on it and cut it in half.  I love it.  It took me and one more person 2 hours to split and stack 6 of these pallets!
 These are a couple of quick pics of me haying the cows.  They are eating one of these 1700lb bales in three days now.  They are tube wrapped and I simply use the spear and pull it off the row.  I lift it over the feeder to remove the plastic.  As you can see below, once I cut plastic and net wrap the bales starts to come apart pretty quick.  As long as I open it over the feeder there is hardly any cleanup.  The baler my cousin uses to bale it up has knives in it to cut the hay.  Once you get in past the outside 3 inches the rest is cut into 4"-6" pieces.  The small pieces allow the cows to eat it easier and digest it better.  It also cuts down on waste as they are not grabbing large chunks of hay with each bite and pulling it out of the feeder. 

No comments: