Our farm name is Conser Run Farm named after the stream that runs through the middle of the farm. We currently raise grass fed Angus cross beef and pasture raised pork for direct sale to the end user. We are always looking for more customers and new friends. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to ask! Either leave a comment or email us through our social network account.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

What ever happened to the snows like when I was a kid?

Well, it is Wednesday afternoon.  We have been having lake effect snow since Sunday night.  As I have said before I am a regional leader for snow removal for the landscape company I work for.  I am in charge of everything in the canton area during a snow event.  I call out sub contractors, our own people, plow, salt, and then check everything when we are done.

I got done this morning at 8:15.  I already have 40.5 hours this week.  Hopefully we are gonna get the rest of the week off with now more snow.

I have been thinking back to when I was a kid.  I remember loving the snow just like my kids do now.  Deep down I still do.  I remember it snowing for a day or so and putting 4-8 inches on the ground and then it would quit!  Or at least that was what it seamed like to a child's eyes.  I wonder if anyone even realizes the amount of work that is done while they are in bed at night so that when they go to work in the morning they don't have to worry about slipping while walking across the parking lot to the building?

A lot of people are nice and say hi at the businesses where they too work outside.  Shopping centers are not really the case.  It seams that it is a bother that we are there when people are trying to shop but even worse if there parking space is not spotless when they show up at Walmart at 3am to get a snack and goof off.

So, next time you see someone clearing a lot of snow or plowing your road.  Remember your drive in and how bad it was.  Then think about how that was an hour or so of your day.  That plow driver was out in it since the beginning and gets to go home to his/her family only after you are home safe with yours!


I know this is a farm report, not a snow report so I digress.  After getting off an 18.5hr shift I came home to a wonderful dinner with my family.  I called ahead and they had it all ready to eat as I only had a few hours before I had to leave again.  As soon as I got done with dinner I headed out to feed and check the cows and pigs.  It has been very cold so a bale of hay is only lasting two days right now.  May have to start feeding two bales at a time so I don't have to do it so often.  Once Jo Jo goes back home and Gordo and Isidro go to the butcher I will have three less big mouths to feed which should gain me an extra day of feeding out of one bale.
After putting  a bale into the cows I heading into the barn to give the piggies their silage hay and ground alfalfa feed.  They are getting so big!  I am guessing them to be about 25-30 lbs already.  As soon as I put the ground hay in the tub they jumped on it.  They were actually fighting their momma to eat it!!  This is a good thing as Pig Pig will be headed to see their daddy the week after Christmas and they will have to go on a milk free diet.

We are also getting a boar (male pig) of our own for breeding.  He is a Tamworth hog. 
This is a quick pic of him that Steven, my partner for the pigs, sent me after picking him out.


Kenny

No comments: