Our farm name is Conser Run Farm named after the stream that runs through the middle of the farm. We currently raise grass fed Angus cross beef and pasture raised pork for direct sale to the end user. We are always looking for more customers and new friends. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to ask! Either leave a comment or email us through our social network account.

Sunday, December 26, 2010

We have got to make some changes to the fence!

I was sitting in my living room Christmas morning enjoying watching my kids play with their gifts when I see what I thought was the orange cat, Gachan, trying to get inside the front screen door of the house.  I had let Daisy out of it earlier and didn't shut the screen door completely and it was slightly open.  So I stand up to let him in and realize it isn't the cat.....its a pig!!  Two of them to be exact, Lisa Left Ear and the red belted pig we just got last weekend.  I hollered at the wife and kids to look but the pigs trotted off the porch before they got their. 

Next thing I know I hear my family at the back door talking to someone.
 Apparently they figured since no one had brought them their milk snack for the day they would come to the house and find out what was taking so long!  I then chase/led them to the barn to get them a snack till Steven could get here with a little milk.  Steven lives on a dairy farm and since we took Pig Pig away he has been bringing over some water and milk from the farm for them to drink.  This helps them get through weaning without any setbacks in weight gain and keeps them from looking for her.  Furthermore with the colder than normal December we are having the creek has frozen partially over and now they cannot access the water. 

I ended up having to open the barn door and let them back in through there as they wouldn't go back under the fence. 
I don't mind them checking things out down around the barn.  However we live near a very busy road and I do not wanna wake up to piggy pancakes!  I also spend a lot of time taking care of the landscaping as it is my specialty and I don't need their help!  So today I am going to go out and lower the bottom wire some more to stop them from getting out. 

As for the auction at Kidron, I was a little late.  I thought it started at 11am.  It actually started at 10:15am.  So I was the last in line.  The fire wood sold decent and the hay did ok as well.  Not what I normally sell at but got me enough money to get some supplement tubs for the cows and should leave enough left over to pay for the herd check we are having this week!  The pic is after he started unloading, he already had 4 bales off.  Forgot to take one of the full load.

We also made a new batch of feed for the piggies.  We did a pretty large batch this time so we wouldn't have to make any for a while.  We are looking into some other options for what to put into the feed for winter but for now we have to use what we have.  So we ground up a bunch of alfalfa they had over at Steven's and several bales of the grass hay I have here.  Then we added the supplements and a small amount of corn for some extra energy and then let it mix.  So far they are eating it very well and growing quite fast!

Kenny

No comments: