Our farm name is Conser Run Farm named after the stream that runs through the middle of the farm. We currently raise grass fed Angus cross beef and pasture raised pork for direct sale to the end user. We are always looking for more customers and new friends. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to ask! Either leave a comment or email us through our social network account.

Saturday, December 4, 2010

I love my truck and hate it at the same time!

Well, I just put two new injectors in the truck about three weeks ago.  It went really well and trouble free.  I thought to myself as I finished that maybe I would get a break from repairs for a while.  Yea, not so much.  I know need to replace u-joints and seals in the front end.  Since it has lockout hubs I can keep driving without having to replace immediately because I will only use them if I use four wheel drive.  So in the mean time I have been pricing parts and getting money together to fix.  Then today I had to work and warmed up truck and headed out to work.  On the way the truck starts blowing white smoke...ugh!  EGR cooler is shot.

So, now she sits till the egr delete kit comes.  Basically, on a diesel engine they recirculate exhaust gas back into engine to cut down on emissions.  This is called Exhaust Gas Recirculation, EGR.  They have to cool the exhaust gas before sending back through the engine as it can be as hot as 1300 degrees.  So Navistar decided to cool the exhaust with the engine coolant system.  It works great for about 30,000 miles then get a hole in the cooler and you have to have it replaced. 

Well it is out of warranty now and will cost appox. $2000-$3000 to have dealer fix it and do it all over again in a year or two.  Instead I am opting to eliminate the system.  This will eliminate future break downs as well as lower operating temps of the engine, increase power output, and reduce fuel consumption.  This option will cost me about 6-7 hours of my time to install and $150 in parts.  The dealer charges $100/hr for labor, amazingly I will probably only charge my self a few beers and a couple of hamburgers!!

I will take pics of the process and post.  I am sure someone out there will be interested.

Wish me luck!!

Kenny

No comments: