Our farm name is Conser Run Farm named after the stream that runs through the middle of the farm. We currently raise grass fed Angus cross beef and pasture raised pork for direct sale to the end user. We are always looking for more customers and new friends. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to ask! Either leave a comment or email us through our social network account.

Friday, May 2, 2014

Calf #7 and letting the cows out to pasture!

Well, I came home to find another little calf in the pasture today!  I was expecting Butterscotch to have one soon but wasn't sure when so I was thrilled to see she had her baby today.

Butterscotch's new calf
 She didn't mind to much when I walked up to check on her new baby.  She backed away and didn't put up any fuss at all. She already had it all cleaned up and dry and it was ready to go.  I am super excited to tell you it is a little girl.  I also am excited because Butterscotch is 3/4 Hereford and 1/4 Charolais.  Because she had her calf now I am positive that she was bred to her previous owner's Hereford bull.  So that makes her calf mostly Hereford!  I can't wait to see what the results will be from breeding the calf and butterscotch both to my bulls.  

Hereford x Charolais dam  and Hereford Sire.  Female calf
Since I was over on the other side of the creek to tag the new baby I decided to go ahead and let everyone out into the smaller pasture tonight.  They will most likely only be there for a day or two at most so I don't stunt the hay.  I have about 6 bales of very low quality hay left and then I am out so I wanted to get them some good green grass to boost their energy and keep them happy and growing well.  I am uploading a video of them coming to the pasture and I will try to remember to post the link tomorrow.

We are heading to pick mushrooms Sunday.  My buddy Richard is telling me they are starting to explode down there from the rain and I am pumped to go find some for a change instead of just hunting!

Talk to you again soon, hopefully with a tummy full of morels!

Kenny

No comments: