Our farm name is Conser Run Farm named after the stream that runs through the middle of the farm. We currently raise grass fed Angus cross beef and pasture raised pork for direct sale to the end user. We are always looking for more customers and new friends. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to ask! Either leave a comment or email us through our social network account.

Saturday, May 24, 2014

First cutting 2014 in the books!!!

I started mowing the first cutting last Saturday.  Here at home it was phenomenal.  I spread manure on the entire field over the winter and then hit it with some fertilizer this spring when I did all my other fields.  WOW what a difference organic matter will make. 


I didn't think it was that great when I was mowing it but I knew it was going to be better than it has been.


I started baling all my other properties first before baling here at home.  The picture below is at one of my rental properties.  This was taken at my best rental field.  It was a great first cutting.  It can always be better but was still pretty dang good.  I ended up with 101 bales off of 67 acres, which averaged out is 1.5 bales per acre.  Last year I averaged .5/acre.  Much much better this year.  Now I just need to find a way to get cattle manure on my rental fields because I know this is the most important thing I am missing on them.


This was also my first opportunity to use the new tractor.  I was very fortunate to have my buddy Steven home to help with the hay this round.  He loved the tractor and it worked even better than I thought it would.  I wanted so badly to jump on and take it for a round or two.  I can't wait till next cutting to do it again!


Here is a picture of the first row of bales.  I moved the fence down by the barn to make an extra three rows of storage space for bales.  I am hoping to fill the entire area with bales this year which would give me approx. 300-400 bales.


I am looking forward to some good news.  I have applied for a grant to help install some non-point source pollution here on the farm.  I am looking to install a buffer strip along the feeding area, a heavy use pad to feed on, manure storage area, and a bunch of fencing to control access to the pasture area and creek, and a year round cattle waterer for the cows.  If everything is approved it will be a huge step forward here on the farm toward being much more environmentally sound and also in giving the cattle a much better location to eat at.  I will definitely be posting picture of the entire process.  

More to come soon.  Still waiting for the next calf to be born.  Been a little while since I have had one and I am starting to get anxious.

Have a great night everyone!

Kenny

No comments: