Our farm name is Conser Run Farm named after the stream that runs through the middle of the farm. We currently raise grass fed Angus cross beef and pasture raised pork for direct sale to the end user. We are always looking for more customers and new friends. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to ask! Either leave a comment or email us through our social network account.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Meet the new arrivals!
















First off, I have been sick for three full weeks now and it is getting old! Tried to take off work so I could get over it but nothing went my way and I only got one day off. There is good news in all of this mess however in the fact that we now have to new full litters of baby piglets! I got up Thursday morning, which I thought I was getting off till a subcontractor showed up to work on the job I am managing, and went out to check the pigs. Pig was due on Tuesday and still hadn't had them yet on Wed. night. I was greeted to an awesome surprise as she was giving birth to her last piglet when I walked in the door. All we had to do was a little cleanup in the pen and she was good to go. She has a litter of 12 healthy little piglets! They are mostly white but most have black speckling and a few have black spots on their noses.








































So, after work I checked on the pigs and then came in house to rest. Steven is in Georgia clipping cows for a show all week so his brother Josh is helping me with the pigs. Josh checked the pigs at 11:30pm and I didn't know it. So I went out at 11:45 and Pig Pig was delivering her second piglet. I thought it was the first, but we found it ten minutes later. It had crawled out a hole in the pen divider and was out with the other pigs. So Josh and I stayed out there till two am. He headed home to get some rest and I stayed up till almost four. At that time she had delivered nine and had quit for a while so I headed in the house to take a nap. When I got back up at six and went out to check on her she had 12 little babies eating off of her.

I haven't had a chance to take a good picture of pig pig with her litter yet. They are all white, no spots or anything. On a sad note however, we did lose one of pig pigs babies today. Apparently it had something quite wrong internally and passed away pretty quickly so she now has eleven. However, the rest are doing very well. Our plans are to fatten out whatever we have sold or think we can sell plus one for us, one for steven, and 2 more for the freezer for mid season sales.

Definitely going to be getting the pig shed finished up soon and everyone moved into there. Next mission is to have at least one pig lot built before they start leaving the barn so we have a place to contain the babies till they are old enough to respect the fence!

I was away from home all day today. Took wife and kids to wooster today to the cultural fair then we went to look at a round baler for the farm. We liked the baler and are going to purchase. I will post a pic of it and the rest of the piggies tomorrow as well as an updated pic of the barn!

TTYS

Kenny

No comments: