Our farm name is Conser Run Farm named after the stream that runs through the middle of the farm. We currently raise grass fed Angus cross beef and pasture raised pork for direct sale to the end user. We are always looking for more customers and new friends. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to ask! Either leave a comment or email us through our social network account.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Our final calf of the year???? Maybe!


Well, I had to mow some hay immediately after work yesterday so I didn't get time to check the cows.  I thought I should but just didn't have time.  So as soon as I got home today I got the feeling I should go out there so Daisy and I jumped on the four wheeler and headed out to the pasture.   Shortly after getting to the cows I noticed that Anjou looked thinner than she had the other day and her udder was full.  At first I just figured the calf was close to being born and had shifted toward the birth canal.  However, as soon as I got off the four wheeler to check everyone else she made a B-line to the fence and started bawling.  So I started searching and sure enough I found a new little boy laying in the weeds by the creek.

Dam: Maine Anjou  Sire: Charolais x Angus
 I walked up to him hoping he was just born so I could tag him and spray him for flies.....he was not.  He apparently was born yesterday and as soon as I started spraying for flies he bolted!  It took me about ten minutes till his mother got him calmed down enough for me to get close and take the above pic.   After this pic they both headed back to the herd.
Some of the 2013 Calf Crop!
 I got a quick pic of some of the calves in a group.  The one looking at the camera is Peanut, Fifties daughter.


 My last pic is of Maine's( she is the cow in the pic) calf that was born last week and the white one is Precious' calf. 


Precious calf which is steer number 9 (white one above) was the other one to come down with Mange Mites.  I do not know where they got them from but he is coming out of it pretty well.  His hair is already coming back in and he is getting his energy back quickly. I am watching them all closely for any more outbreaks and I as soon as I can catch everyone in the barn I will be doing a blanket treatment to be sure they are gone from the herd.  I do not ever want to see that again.  I still feel bad for the little guy we lost but I know what to look for now and how to beat it so it will not happen again!

We still have one cow and one heifer that have not had a calf yet this year.  The cow is Frosty and she is looking like she may be pregnant.  She was not pregnant at New Years herd check but hopefully got that way shortly after.  The other is Kwanzan.  If she is pregnant she is very short bred as she is not even uddering up yet.  So we will continue to watch them.  Frosty should be ok and have a calf this fall but if Kwanzan doesn't get bred by New Years herd check we may have to let her go.  So if she hasn't spent time with Legacy she better get to it immediately!

Kenny

No comments: