Our farm name is Conser Run Farm named after the stream that runs through the middle of the farm. We currently raise grass fed Angus cross beef and pasture raised pork for direct sale to the end user. We are always looking for more customers and new friends. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to ask! Either leave a comment or email us through our social network account.

Monday, July 29, 2013

New tractor for my dad, new cows for me, and BABY PIGLETS!!!!


A local farmer about 20 minutes from here decided he wanted to sell off his cattle and equipment and retire from farming and try relaxing for a while.  My dad and I went and looked at the cattle and the equipment before the auction.  We agreed that the tractor was in great shape and that it would be perfect for what they need which is a tractor for all seasons that can run there haybine and move bales but not too big that they cannot use every day.  

Well dad was able to get the winning bid and I hauled it home for him Sunday morning.  It is a nice little tractor and should do him well!  It is a case/international 885.  Previous owner took excellent care of it!

Dad's new to him Case 885
 I also told him while we were there that I like the Charolais x Hereford cow that he had going to auction and that if she went for the price I was willing to pay I would take her.  Well I got lucky and we got her.  Her name is Caramel and she has a two month old bull calf that came with her!  She joined right in with the herd immediately and she fits right in with everyone else!


Our new Charolais x Hereford cow
Her calf is shown here below with another new cow we added to our herd this week.  Caramel's calf is the tan one to the left.  The new cow is black Hereford.  My daughter named her Black Eye.  She is a little bossy but just like Caramel felt right at home as soon as I let her out of the trailer and she is surprisingly calm.  She reminds me a lot of fifty when we first brought her home.  I look forward to her being a part of our herd and I can't wait to see her calves! 
Caramel's calf to the left and our new Black Hereford, Black Eye, in the center.
 I came home today and headed straight out to check on everyone in the pasture first.  I came up to the barn to find Lady with 11 little babies in the barn with her.  She had two more after I got there.  Of the 13 she had 12 are doing great.  The smallest didn't look like it would make it as it wouldn't eat so Steven's mom, Tammy, took it home with her to try bottle feeding it like they did the little one during the winter.  I hope that she makes it makes it.  I was hoping she would have a big litter but wasn't expecting 13.  Now we have to keep an eye on them as she only has 11 teats to feed 12 babies.  If one starts getting weaned out I will send it over to Tammy's for some bottle feeding!  We prefer to have multiple litters at the same time for cases like this.  Had two or more sows gave birth within a day or two of each other we could simply put the extra pig on the other sow for it to eat.  Unfortunately they were not all together this time.  I will make sure this doesn't happen again!

Lady's big litter!






Well, off to bed.  Long day coming up tomorrow.  Two more days till vacation starts!  I will give all the details when we get back.  Short story is we are visiting my wife parents and we are meeting half way between Japan and the USA.  If you think about it you will know where!  I can't wait!

Kenny


No comments: