Our farm name is Conser Run Farm named after the stream that runs through the middle of the farm. We currently raise grass fed Angus cross beef and pasture raised pork for direct sale to the end user. We are always looking for more customers and new friends. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to ask! Either leave a comment or email us through our social network account.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Well, spring was here!

Hello everyone, Been very nice and warm, although raining a lot, over the last 3 weeks.  However, today and for the next three days we are having near freezing temps again.  We have been getting spotty snow showers off and on all day today as well.  

No mushrooms or new calves yet since my last post either.  I was able to get all the hay fields I am renovating seeded down in Oats this past weekend.  It was a lot of fun to get to seed again.  I missed doing that more than I thought.  It will be refreshing to help the neighbor do some row crops this year as well!  The new tractor handled the bigger no till drill like it wasn't even there.  

Another task that I was able to complete two weeks ago was to finish all my new fences.  I split my big pasture across the creek into two equal sized fields giving me three pastures to rotate the cows through over the summer.  I am renovating one of the three this year and will complete all three over the next year or two.  I seeded all the fields down into hay back in 2006 including what is now pasture across the creek and everything was getting spotty and run down.  So we coated everything heavy with manure and killed off what was still there and all the weeds.  I am running a round of oats for silage feed and then we will seed them back into hay for the fields and pasture mix for where the pastures are now.

I also have started getting buttermilk from the local dairy to feed the pigs.  It is just what is left over after they churn the butter out of the milk.  It is very nutritional and greatly reduced the amount of feed the pigs need to supplement them for what they don't get off the pasture.  I even have a few of the calves who like to drink some as well.  The milk is all produced locally and it is nice to keep all the resources local!

I am hoping the weather straightens out after this cold snap and gives us a much needed break from the cold and wet so we can try to get caught up before hay season arrives.  I have never been more ready for it than I am this year.  It is going to be an exciting year!!!  Lots of opportunity and growth are in the near future for my family and those around me. 

As soon as I get some nice weather to let the cows back out on the pasture I promise to post some good pics!

Goodnight everyone,

Kenny





No comments: