Our farm name is Conser Run Farm named after the stream that runs through the middle of the farm. We currently raise grass fed Angus cross beef and pasture raised pork for direct sale to the end user. We are always looking for more customers and new friends. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to ask! Either leave a comment or email us through our social network account.

Friday, February 27, 2015

Calf #2 2015!!

I came home from work yesterday expecting to put a bale in to the cows, bed the shed, feed the pigs, and call it a night.   However, when Scott and I started to bed he noticed a cow having a calf.  It was Prairie Fire.  She was just getting going and so we shuffled her up into the shed and quickly bedded it down.  Before we could finish bedding she had the calf! 

It is another heifer!   That makes two already this year.   At this rate I may have to change my business plan to raising heifers instead of steers!  Last year I had 75% heifers, which seems to be the norm for me.  I have only had one year that I dropped below 75% and it was 50/50 heifers and bulls!


Luckily she was born inside and momma was quick to get her cleaned up and get her moving!  She didn't get any frostbite like the first calf of the year did.  


I woke up this morning to -10 when I went to the kitchen to make my coffee.  By the time I headed out of the house it was -12.   I started my truck to leave for work and while it warmed up I went to check on the little baby.   She was all snuggled with momma and the rest of the cows and short of a little frost in her hair she was snug as a bug in a rug! 


Forecast is calling for two back to back major snowstorms starting tomorrow night and lasting till Thursday morning.......UHG!!  I am ready for spring!

Kenny

No comments: