Our farm name is Conser Run Farm named after the stream that runs through the middle of the farm. We currently raise grass fed Angus cross beef and pasture raised pork for direct sale to the end user. We are always looking for more customers and new friends. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to ask! Either leave a comment or email us through our social network account.

Monday, June 16, 2014

New baby calf Saturday!

I have some good news and some bad news today.   I lost a calf this past week.  We tried really hard to keep him alive but 50's little bull passed away this week.  Not sure what caused it but he fought really hard till the end.  Fifty took it a little hard over the weekend because this is the first calf she has ever lost.  

The good news is that in his passing another life came to be here on the farm.  This is one of my Maine Anjou cattle that I purchased early last year.  She had a bull last year.  This year she had a beautiful and large heifer.  I found her very shortly after she was born.  


Not sure who the father is to this one.  I am just happy it is a heifer.  I need bulls for steers for meat sales, but I want heifers to grow the herd.  As you can see in the picture she is number 23.  I actually have three more females that are not tagged as well as one in Montana, and Fifty got her number because that was just the right thing to do.  SO, when you total it all up I actually, right now have 28 females.  If I keep them all that means in 2016 I will have 26 calves every year.  However, I am trying to decide if I want to keep them all or sell some off to pay off some debt and set myself up in a different position moving forward into 2015.  I will discuss this more later on.  


I had to get my last steer from 2012 in the barn to take him to the Butcher shop on Sunday morning.  He was the last one to come to the barn for the special treat I was saving for everyone.   While I was calling him into the barn I had a chance to take a picture of a large number of the calves in the barn area watching their mothers eat their treats.  The treats, if you are wondering, where the last of the third cutting bales from last year that I was saving and giving in small amounts to the herd to get them to come to me when I needed to sort someone out.


The last picture for this post is of the new to me 706.  I am picking up a lot more custom work this year and in doing so I need to move more equipment in one pass than I used to.  This time I needed to get the hay rake, Dad's bale wagon, the baler, and Dad's wrapper, all 13 miles down the road with two tractors and one truck.  We were thinking at first we would need more than one trip, then I remembered the hitch on the back of the bale wagon.  Talk about a long convoy!  It all worked out thought.  We baled and wrapped 134 bales in about 6 hours.   Got it all done and customer was really happy so I want to say thank you to everyone who helped make it happen.


I am looking forward to the customer party on July 5th!!!  It is going to be a blast.  I hope to see everyone I have invited here and get a chance to catch up with everyone.  If you read this and know that you are coming, or want to come, please email, text, message me on facebook, or send a homing pigeon.  I want to be sure to have enough food ready for everyone.  If you need contact info just leave a message with your email or send me an emial through the link on the side.  I have scheduled time off work to finish the barn and prepare for the party this year.  I also will be celebrating my birthday early this year since it is on the 7th.

Have an awesome week everyone and I will talk to you again soon!!!

Kenny

No comments: