Our farm name is Conser Run Farm named after the stream that runs through the middle of the farm. We currently raise grass fed Angus cross beef and pasture raised pork for direct sale to the end user. We are always looking for more customers and new friends. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to ask! Either leave a comment or email us through our social network account.

Sunday, March 30, 2014

New cows, a new heifer, and a new little baby bull!!!

The only way March could end any better is if I found a morel mushroom tomorrow!!!   I brought home two more momma cows to add to the herd on Friday morning as well as a new heifer.  All are ready to be bred and if they get bred before the end of April they will have calves in January.

The first two are mainly Black Angus.  I do not have their pedigree information yet but should have it soon and once I do I will update everyone.

Our two new Angus cattle

This good looking girl is a shorthorn heifer.  I am really excited as she will be my third Shorthorn in the herd.  The first was Sally and her daughter Frosty was the second.  The shorthorn breed crossed with my Charolais x Angus bull produces an awesome steer that grows fast and has great flavor and lots of meat!

My new Shorthorn Heifer
So, since the snow we got last night melted and it was brilliantly sunny with temps in the upper 40's I got everyone on the four wheeler for a cruise around the farm.  We haven't done that since early in the fall last year because of the cold and I wanted some time with everyone to do that.  It was well worth the trip.  As we were finishing up our ride I came past the gate on the other side of the creek and saw Chilli over in the rose bushes.  As she turned around I saw a little calf just trying to get up!  We checked her out to make sure she was all good to go and then checked to make sure the calf was good as well.  It is a little bull.

Black Angus Dam, Charolais x Angus Sire  =  Gray Bull Calf!

So, after we walked around the pasture for a while I took everyone else up to the house and then headed back out to give him his ear tag.  I am going to be very diligent this year in getting the calves tagged quickly and taking a picture of the mother and baby with the tags showing in the photo so I don't mix them up any more.  I have already mis-matched a couple in the computer and then I am not sure if I got them right in the end.  This should eliminate that.  Needless to say, as you can tell by her looking at me in the photo, she was not happy I was there and was pretty clear about that.  She didn't push me away but was very close the entire time I checked him out and gave him the tag.  Once I left she calmed right down and went back to feeding him.

Our newest Angus x Charolais bull calf
After getting the new guy his ear tag I went over to check on everyone else.  The entire herd short of Princess was here soaking up the sun!  If you zoom in you will see Legacy's little girl Erica standing by her momma in the center of the photo.

The cattle soaking up the warm spring sunshine.
 Last year I had the idea to take a photo showing the changes in the farm during the transition from winter to spring.  I should have started sooner when there was snow on the ground but this will do.  The grass has grown about 2 inches since Friday morning.  I think spring may actually show up and stay now....we can only hope!

Looking south over the farm. March 30th
So, I came in the house tonight for supper and as I was sitting down looking out the kitchen window at the large tree by the drive I got a great idea.  I was thinking back to watching the kids play in the tree earlier this week and how much fun they were having.  Well, my idea grew from that and I have decided I want to build them a tree house.  I always wanted one as a kid but never did.  So, I want to give them one.  I am going to try to get it done before the customer party but I am not sure if I can make it.  I am going to have to rustle up some help if it is going to happen that fast!

Future site of tree house!
So, in closing we now have two new calves this year, one heifer, and one bull.  That is two down and 14 to go!   It is going to be an awesome year I can feel it.

Kenny

No comments: