Our farm name is Conser Run Farm named after the stream that runs through the middle of the farm. We currently raise grass fed Angus cross beef and pasture raised pork for direct sale to the end user. We are always looking for more customers and new friends. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to ask! Either leave a comment or email us through our social network account.

Friday, February 21, 2014

WOW ... this winter just will not give up!!!

Well, I finally got a day off again.  Seems like I have worked almost every day at work since Thanksgiving.  We have not gone more than a couple of days without a snowstorm since then and this week is no different.  It is currently 38 degrees and raining.  It is supposed to be above freezing during the day today and tomorrow and then back in to the frigid arctic temps again.  We are not supposed to get any snow for a few days but the forecasters can't seem to get anything correct this year so I am not trusting their forecast now either!  I have been reading some articles on the weather and the numbers are showing the last time we had a winter this cold and snowy was the winter just before I was born, 1977/78.  I was born in July of 78.  I am glad I missed the last one and hope I don't get to see another one this bad for another 36 years!  We had this kind of cold in 1993/94 the winter before my grandpa died.  That was brutal as well but not quite as snowy and the cold didn't last as long either!

One thing this winter has shown me is the weaknesses that I have in my barn design.  I will definitely need some more feeding pad space that is not in the corral next winter.  Because it has been so brutally cold for more than a month everything has been frozen solid.  I haven't been able to clean the barn since back near New Years.  Over the last two days the manure has begun to thaw and is currently about 1.5-2' deep now.  I am heading out shortly to try to clean it up.  Hopefully it is all thawed out or I will not be able to do anything with it.  Wish me luck!

I also have my truck in the shop getting some finishing touches before the bed comes in.  The bed was supposed to be here three days ago but got delayed due to weather again!  So, the guys at Gearheads Garage have been working on the leveling springs and some other minor repairs that needed done so when the bed comes in they will only need two days to complete the project.  I will be posting a couple of pics after I pick it up today for before and after comparisons.  I can't wait to get it all done!

Have a great day everyone, hopefully mine stays dry and not too cold!!

No comments: