Our farm name is Conser Run Farm named after the stream that runs through the middle of the farm. We currently raise grass fed Angus cross beef and pasture raised pork for direct sale to the end user. We are always looking for more customers and new friends. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to ask! Either leave a comment or email us through our social network account.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Update ... Sorry for the delay!

Well, it has been quite hectic around here the last week and a half.  On July 30th both Pig and Daisy Pig had their litters on the same day while I was at work.  Pig had her entire litter with no problems.  Daisy pig however did not.  When I got home she was still in labor and had been since about 9am.  These where the ones running around in the pen.


Here were Pigs piglets.


After talking with the vet we came to the conclusion she had one breach.   So, the only way to help her was to be the doctor and manually go in and get it unstuck and out.  It was not fun for me and I have no idea how she coped but I managed to get it and two others that were stuck behind it out.  Unfortunately they were all still born.  So, very disappointed, after spending two hours helping her, I headed to the house to clean up for dinner.  I came out afterwards to check on everyone and was overjoyed to find two more happy little babies eating with the other seven.  That made it all worth it!



Above is pig the next day with her litter of 11 and Daisy pig below with her litter of 9. They are all growing faster than any litter before and look great.  I think we are finally getting the pig thing dialed up and we are ready to roll!!!  Now we just need this drought to end and we will be great!


I mowed and square baled my big field across the road last week as well.  I didn't mow the smaller one as it hasn't grown enough to bother.  The bigger 7.5 acre field normally gives me 150-200 bales of third cutting.  This year ... 21.  Last year I couldn't get a wagon load of dry hay due to the rain.  This year I can't get a load of dry hay due to the lack of rain!  So, as every farmer will say, " Next year will be better!"

After finishing unloading I took the kids and dog for wagon ride to give the chaff to the cows. 


Everyone enjoyed the treat as they don't have a lot to eat in the pasture right now either.  I am starting to feed round bales already.  Good thing I planned ahead and made sure I have more than I need!


Then, I found out that I could borrow a lift this past weekend.  I have wanted to limb up all the large trees in the lawn since we moved in but haven't had a way to get that high up in the trees as they are 60+ feet tall.  This lift was a life savor and made it very easy to do the job.  This is one of the six large maples on one spruce I had to prune.  The limbs were drooping low enough to hit the equipment going in and out the lane as well as getting into all pines along the drive.


While I was pruning my kids were collecting the old shells of the locusts that were all over the spruce tree.  My daughter then put them in a container and labeled it "The Bug House"!


A pic of the big maple along the drive way after I finished.  Shortly after taking this photo I went back up and took off the two limbs hanging lower than the rest on the left and right.  I lifted all except the spruce about 40' each.  They look awesome and we can see the sun come up in the morning in our kitchen again!



I had four pigs and one steer to take to the butcher last night.  I did not originally have a divider gate in my livestock trailer so I spent part of my weekend installing one.  This made life a lot easier for hauling as it allowed us to load the pigs and pen them in the front and then put the steer in the back without losing anyone or having them fight on the way there!


Lastly I wanted to put in a pic of Prairie Fire.  She is not quite a year old yet and is almost as big as her momma already!  I can't wait to see her calves!


Well, I need to get to bed.  Another long day tomorrow as after work I have some custom baling to do followed by helping my parents dig some foundation footers for their house remodeling project!

Goodnight everyone and have a great week!

Kenny

No comments: