Our farm name is Conser Run Farm named after the stream that runs through the middle of the farm. We currently raise grass fed Angus cross beef and pasture raised pork for direct sale to the end user. We are always looking for more customers and new friends. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to ask! Either leave a comment or email us through our social network account.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Rain, Barn Work, more Rain, and even more Rain!

Ok, we just wrapped up the wettest April in history two weeks ago.  May started out the same way.  Rain every day.  After three beautiful days of sunshine this week I thought maybe things were changing back to a more normal weather pattern.  Boy was I wrong.  I got the entire roof torn off of the barn starting Monday and finishing up Wednesday night.  My help finally showed up Thursday night just in time to sit on the porch and watch it rain 2" in twenty minutes.  So, we ate dinner and cut the metal to length and called it a night.  Friday, I spent all day running equipment at work with periodic sunshine watching storms pass by.  I got home just in time to get a call saying my help wasn't gonna make it again.  Didn't matter though cause before I got out of truck it started down pouring.  Before I got to the house I was completely soaked.  We got 3.5" of rain in less than 35 minutes.  Everything instantly flooded.  We totaled almost 7" of rain yesterday.  We just got another 3 this evening.  During the break in the rain today the cows decided to cross the creek, which was down just low enough for them to swim across, and now they are stuck over there because they didn't come back before the bottom flooded entirely again.  And I have no way to go check them as I would need to cross the creek as well and cannot do that when it is flooded!

Ok, some pics!  One of the storms rolling in last weekend.
 My wife and son visiting the job site last weekend.  We had to pry him off the machine! 
 A picture of the smaller pond I installed this week on the project. 


The same pond after yesterdays rain.  It is five feet deep and 50' across.  Was pouring over the fall rocks when I got there and it has been raining ever since. 


 Picture of the barn in progress of taking off slate.  Notice the beautiful green grass and the wonderful sunshine!
 Almost ready for metal.
Metal on.  Still need to trim laths down on ends and put on fascia board.  Also found out in tonight's rain that the flashing between the two roofs never got silicone on the splices.  So I get to climb back up again tomorrow and take it apart and caulk the splices. 


I am going to post pics of the new pig lots tomorrow.  We got the posts in today.  Went pretty quick.  I am running all the wires tomorrow.  I have to get them on and fencers hooked up so I can get electric in something.  If I manage to get cows to barn tomorrow I will put them in the new pig lots till this rain lets up enough to fix the fence.  I don't need the herd wondering off because the fence is gone. 

I want to show you a quick video.  This is inside the pig shed when the heavy rain hit tonight.  This should give you an idea of the last couple of days.

lets hope the weather straightens out soon, the hay is ready to cut but I need a couple of dry days to do it!

Kenny

No comments: