Our farm name is Conser Run Farm named after the stream that runs through the middle of the farm. We currently raise grass fed Angus cross beef and pasture raised pork for direct sale to the end user. We are always looking for more customers and new friends. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to ask! Either leave a comment or email us through our social network account.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

New building updates

Hello!  A couple of weeks have passed already since my last post.  Things are moving fast and I haven't had time to stop to do anything other than sleep at night!  The building walls are up and I am prepping for concrete.  I installed the footer drains last weekend and waterproofed the north wall and parts of the east and west walls where needed.  

I am installing a trench drain in the center of the building floor.  This will allow for a nice even slope all the way around the drain from all corners.  It is also much easier to wash a floor with a long trench drain than it is to wash one with a circular drain.  


I have man doors on the east and west walls of the building.  There are windows on the west, north, and east walls.  The south wall is solid because it faces the barn.  You can see in the picture below the waterproofing on the wall on the corner.


Just as the sun was setting I finished my stone wall to hold the hillside back the hill from the door.  Because I moved the building over it pushed it into the hill more so I needed to put in a quick retaining wall to hold the hill up.  I will get a better pic in the day light when we pour concrete!


This is going to be the new pig feeding area.  I have always struggled with a good way to wean and feed the feeder pigs away from the sows.  This year I am planning on switching the boar lot to the new feeder lot to wean piglets and feed them during the nasty winter months.  They will need to sleep in the boars nest till they are fully weaned.  By then I will hopefully have my new height restriction build that will allow just the feeder pigs into this lot and only they will have access to this feeding area making it easier to give them access to the extra buttermilk without having to compete with the big pigs!  I will let you know how this turns out!  I have roughly 5 days to figure out what posts I want and get them installed before the concrete is poured!  I may have to leave myself a couple of holes or get creative if I don't figure it out quickly!


Another upgrade is a drain line for the new building with tie ins for all the downspouts for the new gutters.  I also ran a new water line down to where the headlock is at so I can use it to water animals if I pen them up in the shed for something without having a hose laying down the driveway.  


Here you can see all the new drains and the water line tying into the new building.


I know I didn't get any good pics of the building yet but I promise I will get some better ones this week.  I was much too busy hurrying to get things done before the weekend was gone to stop for pics!  Hope everyone had a great weekend and I hope this week is a smooth one.  We finally got some good rain this weekend and I am starting to see my newly seeded hay fields slowly starting to sprout.  I hope all the seed made it through the drought!

Goodnight everyone,

Kenny

No comments: