Our farm name is Conser Run Farm named after the stream that runs through the middle of the farm. We currently raise grass fed Angus cross beef and pasture raised pork for direct sale to the end user. We are always looking for more customers and new friends. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to ask! Either leave a comment or email us through our social network account.

Friday, January 17, 2014

The best feeling in the world.

I just want to put up a quick post tonight.  I have been up quite a while for snow but this is important so I want to share it.  I came home from a 13 hour shift at work and checked all the pigs.  All the babies were fine and doing great so I went out and got the feed out for everyone and went back in the barn to feed.  As soon as I came back in the barn from feeding the boar I looked in the pens and saw the biggest piglet from Lady's litter sprawled out like he was dead......I panicked.   I jumped in the pen and scooped him up.  He was alive but barely.  He was obviously laid on by one of the sows while they were feeding babies and was about to pass away.

So, my training and research kicked in and I checked for a heart beat.....he still had one.  He was trying to breath but couldn't.  So I wrapped my hands tight around his mouth to make a cone and blew into my hands re-inflating his lungs.  I had to do this several times till he started breathing on his own again.  Once he started breathing I laid him under the heat lamps and left him alone for a while.  I have read that a small funnel works much much better.  I will be getting one next time I am at the store!

My wife just went out and checked on him and he is up and running around like nothing happened!!!!  That is an awesome feeling knowing that his life was not wasted and he will grow to lead a purposeful life!

Have a great night everyone.....off to bed for a quick nap before heading back to work for snow!

Kenny

1 comment:

Keit Bowes said...

Nice Job! Excellent, Kenny.