Our farm name is Conser Run Farm named after the stream that runs through the middle of the farm. We currently raise grass fed Angus cross beef and pasture raised pork for direct sale to the end user. We are always looking for more customers and new friends. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to ask! Either leave a comment or email us through our social network account.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Happy Holidays and a couple pictures of my BULL DOZER fun!


So, I finally got a few days off from work.  I actually was supposed to have two full weeks but due to snow I am not really getting off what I had scheduled but still any time to get something done at home is good!!!

I decided that since the weather was going to be warm for a few days I wanted to get some grading work done so I rented a small Dozer and brought it home with my newly fixed truck and trailer!


I didn't have time to get a pic today of the area I graded out for future manure storage because I spent most of my day back at work doing snow removal.  I was able to get some pics the other day before the weather went back to snow of just some of the items I did get done.  I started clearing off about 3 acres of ground across the road from the house shortly after purchasing the farm.  I finished my grading work at the barn in about 1/4 the time I thought it would take so I had a lot of left over time to spend with the dozer.  So I decided to go start the final phase of my clearing project.  I had not initially planned on doing this much.  I simply headed over to push up the burn pile and clean up the edges.....and then I didn't stop.....and kept going and going till I had pushed as much as the small dozer would push and then moved on.


These two pictures are from on top of the hill looking down.  This entire area used to be fields.  Then, about 50 years ago the previous owner decided to plant locust trees for use as fence posts.  However, "the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry!"  After some time the trees got out of hand and the entire area became over grown and just useless woods that had no good trees or usefulness as habitat or as production either one.  So I want to take it back to use as a field.  I am keeping the rest of my woods as woodland area.  I am working to control all the invasive grape vines and such while helping the trees I want to grow do better.  I also am trying to conserve habitat for all the flora and fauna that may want to dwell there.


Here is a picture looking up from the bottom.  It was too late in the day to get a good pic because the sun was getting quite low.  Next week I will go up on the top of the hill and take a better picture and get some pics of the other stuff I worked on over the weekend.   I managed to also clean up a bunch of stuff at my dads farm where he lives as well as clear another 4-5 acres of ground on another farm of his that he wants to start farming again.  It is another area that once was cleared more than a century ago and over time got let go and grew back up in junk trees and scrub brush.  Over the next two to three years, depending on how things go, we are hoping to recover another 10 - 15 acres of crop ground as well as get some pasture ground back that he used to use till just after I was born.  Lastly, I also managed to clean up my pasture a little bit on the other side of the creek.  This was just a bunch of junk trees in an old fence row as well as a bunch of junk from the previous owner as well as a lot of trees I cut down in the past but didn't get cleaned up.  I will be having lots and lots of bonfires this coming spring!!!  Looking forward to some great warm nights by the fire drinking beer with some good friends and family!


Before the ground froze back up my buddy brought his play vehicle down to run it around in the corn field for fun.  After a couple of rounds I decided I wanted to test out my new tires on the truck.  I soon found out they do not have quite the bite as my previous set in the sloppy mud but are much cheaper, ride nicer, and still get it in the mud they just need a little more throttle!!  Well, shortly after my buddy Willy and I took to the field, our other buddy Jessie, who came with Willy and is also his house mate, took the play toy out to play some more.  Unbeknownst to him, I snuck up behind him and when we spun into a 360 so did I.  What I didn't know is that he had his drivers side window down!!!!   If you look closely at his forehead you will notice I got him right between the eyes with a big glob of mud....hehehe.  He kept it closed the rest of the day.


I cleaned the barn the other day as well.  I have never really had the cows spend much time up at the barn.  They have always spread out in the pasture.  So I was quite surprised when as soon as I got the barn bedded after cleaning it the cows began laying down all over the new pad and bedding.  I think that they are enjoying it because it is firm and dry compared to the very muddy and wet pasture right now.  Unfortunately, because the roof is not on yet, every time it rains it all falls off the pig shed roof and lands right on the fresh bedding and makes a heck of a mess.  So this nice dry bedding only lasted about two days.  I will clean it again next weekend before the herd check so they are comfy and dry when the vet gets here.

The cows enjoying their fresh corn stubble bedding.
I also managed to get another of the wooden gates built for the cattle chute.  One more and I will be done with that part of the renovation.  There is still one more set of gate hinges to install but they can wait till warm dry weather next year so I can do it right.  I also still have a bunch of posts to install out in the pasture going from the new pad due west along the edge of the newly graded area.  I am hoping it freezes up so I can get in again with the tractor and drill the post holes and get the rails up.  I want to keep the cows from walking over the bank and working the dirt down over the hill.  Hopefully by spring the entire area down hill from the feeding pad / cow shed will be fenced off and I can keep the cows out of the area during muddy weather.  I want to use the area as a filter strip for any runoff from the pad to capture any nutrients that run off due to rain and turn it into a food crop for the cattle and pigs.

If anyone is not busy next week and wants something to do just give me a ring and come on out!  I have plenty to keep you busy.  Hopefully I get it all done soon so I can relax at least one or two days this winter before I start into the spring grind!

As I write this the kids are going nuts watching Santa come on NORAD Santa online.  I remember as a kid when my only update was from the 6pm news and 11pm news.  If you saw the 11pm report that meant your barn work wasn't done quick enough and you better be getting to bed quickly!!

I hope everyone has a joyous holiday season, whatever you celebrate and however you celebrate it!  The main thing is to spend time with all your loved ones when ever you can cause you never know when they may not be here to do so again.  Also, for anyone who gets upset about having to work on a holiday or about traffic or whatever is bothering you.  Remember that you will always find someone who has much worse problems or has to work much more that day, or may not even have the option to be upset about missing some of the day with their family because they cannot come home at all.

Happy Holidays everyone.  I will be sure to get up my annual New Years Post next week!

Kenny



No comments: