Our farm name is Conser Run Farm named after the stream that runs through the middle of the farm. We currently raise grass fed Angus cross beef and pasture raised pork for direct sale to the end user. We are always looking for more customers and new friends. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to ask! Either leave a comment or email us through our social network account.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Some cow/calf picks!

I was out in the pasture over the weekend and had a chance to get some pics of the babies from this summer some of which were with their mommas.  

First I got a picture of Prairie Fire with her daughter Coral Burst.  Coral Burst is looking really good considering how sick she was in the summer.  I am really happy with how she has bounced back!

Dam: Red Angus Sire: Charolais x Angus
Here is a pic of a couple of the boys with White Tail in the middle.

A few of the calves from our 2013 calving season
Here is a pic of White Tail by herself.  She is really really cute, and she is an awesome looking calf to boot!  I am really excited for what her future calves will look like!


Dam: Hereford  Sire:  Maine Anjou x Angus
Here is White Tail's Momma Black Eye.  I got her in the middle of the summer just before we left on vacation.  She is a awesome addition to the herd and is the only girl I have that I can walk right up to and pet her like a puppy!!  She is even making Fifty, our oldest and first cow we bought, jealous to the point where she is starting to let me pet her now as well!

Our Black Hereford cow Black Eye
Next we have the newest baby in the herd.  His momma is Frosty, Sally Shorthorn's daughter.  He was in my last post shortly after he was born.  he is growing really fast and is a looking like he is gonna be a big boy!  I took this picture as he was approaching me to check me out while I was watching him.

Dam: Black Angus x Shorthorn  Sire: Charolais x Angus
Shortly after the picture above, he decided to go eat supper.  I posted a link to the video of this in a previous post.  He is pretty cute as well.

Frosty with her newest little boy eating supper!
As I was headed up to the barn I came back to where I had fed the sows and boar their supper.  The cows were trying to find some leftovers from the pigs.  However, they do not leave leftovers very often, they don't get that big by not cleaning up their food!

I found Sally Shorthorn feeding her boy from this year.  He is huge!  He is only a few months old and I would estimate him to be about 400# already at least, maybe more.  I am so pleased with her calves and I plan on keeping her as long as she can produce.  Her calf from last year is the youngest of the four boys and is the biggest by about 200-300lbs right now!  I believe my best producing cross to date is the shorthorn crossed with my charolais x angus bull.  The calves are very beefy and put on a lot of muscle and the mothers being all or part milking shorthorn produce lots of milk for the calves to grow quickly on!



This was a picture from a different spot showing the cows watching as the pigs were cleaning up the last of their dinner.  Red balls, to the left of the picture, is so big now he is sometimes mistaken for one of the red angus cows when seen at a distance in the pasture.


Lastly, since the temps have cooled down the last week here on the farm I decided to have a fire going for most of the weekend.  It was a great feeling to sit next to the fire and watch the sun set and the moon rise.  It was also a little depressing knowing that snow and cold nasty weather are just around the corner.  So we must enjoy every opportunity we get to enjoy the outdoors before the cold sets in for the long haul!



Kenny

No comments: