Our farm name is Conser Run Farm named after the stream that runs through the middle of the farm. We currently raise grass fed Angus cross beef and pasture raised pork for direct sale to the end user. We are always looking for more customers and new friends. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to ask! Either leave a comment or email us through our social network account.

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!!

First off I want to say Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!  To those who are not from the USA it is a holiday to give thanks for what you have and spend time connecting with family you may only see once a year.  If you do not celebrate already I encourage you to start the tradition.  All you need is family, friends, and a lot of good food.  Then just eat, talk, relax and be thankful for all that you have and what you have accomplished!

It has been crazy busy here due to work and wrap up of some end of year projects and I haven't had the time to write.   We have been working long ours at work trying to wrap up some projects before the weather turns bad and with the short days and long nights it takes longer to accomplish tasks that require minimal time in the warmer months.

Some items that I am working on here on the farm are sending Pearl off to her new home in Montana.  Preparing for a feed bin to store the ground feed for the pigs.  Baling corn stubble for bedding and cleaning the barn to prepare for onset of cold weather and for piglets that will start arriving at the end of December. 

 In Montana you need to brand your cattle to give them a permanent, tamper resistant marking to be sure they are not stolen and can be sorted from other cattle when out on the range.  To send Pearl out she needed to have all her health papers and vaccines.  I also needed to register a brand for our farm that is applied after she has arrived and is inspected.  If done properly it will be a lasting identifier that she will allow her to live a happy life without worrying about her going missing or being stolen!

Conser Run Farms brand.

 Steven and his brother Josh drove Pearl to Montana while headed out to visit their brother, and my good friend, David for Thanksgiving.  They will be helping brand her and all his other momma cows today.  Here is a picture of her with her new pasture mates.  I cannot wait to see how she grows and matures out there.  I highly doubt she will ever complain about the weather here in Ohio as they day she left here it was in the 60's and 24 hours later when she got there it was about 10 degrees!


Pearl, charolais x angus heifer.

Sunday morning I needed to head to town to get oil change supplies for my work car and Steven's truck as well as some other stuff.  My wife and daughter headed to go grocery shopping leaving my son and I at home to do guy things!  So I asked him weather he wanted to take the Camaro (my work car) or the truck. Without hesitation he selected the truck!  So we got dressed and headed into town.  As soon as we pulled out of the driveway I turned on a local radio station and they had some pop song on and he immediately turned his hat around and started dancing in his seat!  So dang ornery!! 



Sunday night my wife fixed a wonderful meal.  She slow cooked shank cross cuts in a casserole dish with onions, carrots, celery, and some wonderful mix of seasonings!   Delicious!

Grass fed beef shank cross cut.

Monday after getting home from work it was time to send Pearl off on her trip.  My buddy David has a very hard time getting pork where he lives as the only place to get it is at the grocery store and it is not local.  So my wife and I sent him out a little pork care package with all the goodies in it like bacon (meat candy), ham, sausage, roasts, etc.  In exchange they will be sending back deer meat from their hunting expeditions this past week.  


 I wanted to part on a happy note.  Even our cats were enjoying Thanksgiving.  I found them cuddled up on the kid's bed Thursday before we left for dinner.  Gachan had his arms wrapped around Prissy enjoying the sunlight through the window.  I believe they were quite thankful for a warm house with soft beds and plenty of space to run and play, as well as the house to themselves for the next 6 hours while we were all at grandmas!!


Hope everyone is well and have a great day!

Kenny

No comments: