Our farm name is Conser Run Farm named after the stream that runs through the middle of the farm. We currently raise grass fed Angus cross beef and pasture raised pork for direct sale to the end user. We are always looking for more customers and new friends. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to ask! Either leave a comment or email us through our social network account.

Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Years Eve on the farm!

Well, some people spend their new years eve planning and prepping for parties or taking down decorations and such.  Here on the farm the weather is still unbelievably mild so our new years eve was spent trying to get some last minute details and projects buttoned up before the weather turns bad.

A couple of months ago, I think mid September, I made a list of "Things that need done before the snow flies".  On this list some big things that I didn't think there was any way I would get them done as winter usually sets in good by mid December.   Things like mount the pig shed doors (done),  install water line and pig waterer(done), clean up slab wood/log pile, cut split and stack it, and move the fence over to edge of round bales(done).  And lastly install posts for fence on south side of the creek.  This year has been very different in it is new years eve and we haven't even had frozen ground yet.  We are also about 18-24 inches over our normal annual rainfall so everything is unrealistically muddy!  So I was able to extend the season of getting things done a little longer this year. 

Yesterday Steven and I changed around some gate posts outside the pig barn and then took on the task of setting posts across the creek.  I was able to borrow an auger attachment from work so I set to digging holes and Steven and his brother Josh took to setting the posts.  We got 30+ in yesterday.  Today my son and I put the auger on the tractor and headed out to drill the rest of the holes with the intent of Steven and I installing the posts tomorrow. 



Well my son and I got the holes all drilled and it went quicker than expected.  He even managed to sneak in a good nap while I was drilling and seamed quite comfortable!



We still had daylight left so, after a quick daiper change, we decided to go see if we could set some posts.  I found a good rhythm and manage to get 22 posts set.  I have six left but ran out of daylight.  So The first day of 2012 will be spent setting our last six posts, grinding pig feed, and cutting the little boars to make them barrows!

I hope everyone has a prosperous and happy new year!!!  2011 has been a year of hard hard labor, copious amounts of rain, good times and bad times, and some big changes.  We went from a single income family to a dual income family.  Saw the growth of the pig portion of our farm grow rapidly.  Added a round baler and custom baling to the farm.  Purchased our first registered black angus cow.  I was finally able to commence work on the barn and now have wonderful birthing pens for the sows and sleeping quarters for all the pigs.  The addition of a donkey to the farm!!  And many many other little wins throughout the year to be thankful for!!

Being a time for reflection I have to look back on where we started the year and how far we have come since then.  It was easy to get depressed this year with all the rain and setbacks but we have made some very great strides and are well on our way to being where we want to be!  I cannot wait to see what 2012 holds and where life will lead us next!

Happy New Year everyone!!

See you next year!




Kenny

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy new year! --Lisa Q