Our farm name is Conser Run Farm named after the stream that runs through the middle of the farm. We currently raise grass fed Angus cross beef and pasture raised pork for direct sale to the end user. We are always looking for more customers and new friends. If you are interested or have any questions please feel free to ask! Either leave a comment or email us through our social network account.

Friday, July 18, 2014

Life on the farm with only one hand!


So, after I got back from surgery last week I had to figure out how to keep things moving here on the farm. I quickly realized how important two hands are in everything I do.  Like, for example, typing!  I am quickly finding how annoying it is to type one handed!

First off, I wanted to show you the cast  they put on Tuesday.  It is more comfortable than the wrap but not much more useful.  I am being told 6 weeks before I will be able to use my left hand to grab anything let alone go back to normal.  

cast for left index finger fracture
To add to my current uselessness I contracted a nasty stomach flue from my daughter over the weekend which has gotten steadily worse till this morning when it even kept me from work.  So, now here I am typing with one hand wanting to do something with one of the few clear and beautiful days we have gotten this summer, and I can't even leave the house without getting sick!

cast for left index finger fracture
The day of my surgery I had to have my buddy Willie, who just got done dealing with a broken foot, pick up the tractor from getting new tires.  The originals were not working out so I put some 16.9/38's on to lift the tractor a little higher and more traction.  

706 Farmall with original 15.5/38 tires
Above is when we dropped it off with the original tires still on.  

706 Farmall with 16.9/38 tires

I really like the way the tractor handles and runs withe the bigger tires, huge difference.  The extent of my driving was to take it down the road and back so I don't have much other feedback yet.  Everyone else likes them though!

706 Farmall with 16.9/38 tires
 After I managed to find enough help to get all the hay baled that I mowed before I broke my finger, I then had to get some of it to a customer.  I forgot to mention that one top of the broken finger last week, my truck also broke down.  So, Willie to the rescue again!  I rode along to show him where to go and he made the delivery for me.  I have never felt more useless than watching my buddy have to do the things that I should be taking care of myself and not being able to do anything about it!

My buddy getting ready to deliver hay for me. 
 On a good note I did have enough help to get the hay made and home and wrapped.  I now have more than enough to get through the winter.  Now I can sell the rest, if i get some dry weather to bale it and my hand heals up!

Tube wrapped round bales
 Some other great news is that the project with the soil and water conservation office has been approved.  The site for the new feeding pad for the cows including a freeze proof waterer and manure storage area has already been graded out.  Now i need to find people to come help set posts and install the waterer so we can pour the concrete.  

Pad site for future heavy use pad.

I will post pics as the project progresses.  Lets hope that this string of bad events has reached its climax so i can put the last week and a half behind me and move forward!

Kenny






No comments: